Thursday, October 29, 2009

Dad sentenced to life plus 96 years in prison for sexual, physical abuse of son over 14-year period (Victorville, California)

Dad RICHARD J. SWANK, a FORMER SCHOOL PSYCHOLOGIST, has been sentenced to life plus 96 years in prison for continuous sexual and physical abuse (including torture) of his son over a 14-year period. The son is a very brave and courageous young man.

http://www.vvdailypress.com/news/victorville-15327-abusing-years.html

Swank gets life plus 96 years for abusing son

"But he never broke me, he never conquered me, all he did was improve my resilience." - Victim
October 29, 2009 4:54 PM
PATRICK THATCHER Staff Writer

VICTORVILLE • A former school psychologist convicted of continuous sexual and physical abuse of his son over a 14-year period was sentenced to life plus 96 years Thursday morning by Judge Eric Nakata.

Richard J. Swank, 47, of Apple Valley was convicted in August of 11 counts of sexual child abuse and one count physical abuse including torture.

Swank sat seemingly nonchalant and showing no emotion as impact statements from the victim, three of his siblings and Swank’s ex-wife were read or presented to the court just prior to sentencing.

Deputy District Attorney Kathleen DiDonato said the victim did not have anything prepared to read but gave an emotional impact statement that came from the heart.

“I can’t begin to describe the hell I endured as a child and missing all the simple things in life that should have been there but never were,” the victim told the court. “I hope my father lives for a very long time so he will be reminded on a daily basis of what he did to me. But he never broke me, he never conquered me, all he did was improve my resilience.”

The victim is now a three-year U.S. Army tank crewman veteran who has been decorated for actions in Iraq. The Daily Press does not publish the names of sex crime victims without their consent.